Now Hiring Math Graduate Tutors
We are currently hiring Math Peer Tutors at our Progress, Ashtonbee, Morningside, and Story Arts Centre campus Learning Centres. Please see the details below if you are interested in applying.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Persons.
Classification: Part time Tutors – Math Graduate
Rate of Pay: $20 - $22/hour
Hours: Maximum 24/week, may include some evenings and weekends or Saturday (training)
Location: All campuses (Progress, Morningside, Ashtonbee, SAC)
Number of positions: 3
Start date-End date: May 7 – August 17
Tutors will be responsible for tutoring introductory and intermediate level Math to first and second year students in the Math Learning Centre at Centennial College. Tutors will be responsible for delivering drop-in, group or one-on-one math supports, including workshops, to build general academic math skills for Centennial college courses. Services will take place at all four campuses of Centennial College, and may involve travel to different campuses as per the requirement. Tutoring schedules will be confirmed upon job offer. Tutors will also be required to assist in promoting the Math Learning Centre within the college through class visits and other promotional activities.
• Deliver individual/group tutoring for the Math Drop-in.
• Provide feedback to students on their progress.
• May be required to deliver workshops for the Math Learning Centre.
• Participate in the evaluation of workshops and tutorials delivered through Math Learning Centre.
• Regularly update the Supervisor for Math Learning Centre on issues related to courses and students.
• Work collaboratively along with other faculty, administrators, students and support staff across the college.
• Work effectively in a team-based environment.
• Facilitate Learning Circles (collaborative learning groups).
• Assess students’ learning needs in order to determine strategies that will better help them understand the course content.
• Help students to identify achievable study goals for each session.
• Help students learn course specific study strategies and techniques to help facilitate student learning.
• Promote the Learning Centre services to students and faculty through class visits, discussions with faculty, posters and promotions.
• Lead and contribute to a variety of Math Learning Centre projects.
• Keep up to date with course content and changes or updates to the course material.
• Refer students to appropriate support services when issues arise that are not academically related.
• Maintain records and statistics on drop-in sessions and any other information as it relates to interactions with students.
• Administrative tasks as required.
• Attend all training sessions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics or Statistics (or any other Math related degree). A combination of education and experience will be preferred.
• Ability to work independently with students requiring assistance in a variety of Math courses.
• Ability to facilitate learning in a Drop-in setting for multiple students.
• Fluency in English required.
• Punctual: arrive on time and be prepared for work.
• Strong active listening and problem solving skills.
• Adhere to confidentiality policy.
• Excellent communication, patience and good judgment are essential.
• Demonstrated experience in delivering effective tutorials and workshops for adult post-secondary students.
• Familiarity with Centennial College’s Math courses preferred.
• Experience working with students with learning disabilities preferred.
• Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion to meet the needs of our diverse students, staff and college community.
Srishta Chopra, Learning Strategist – Math Specialist, Centennial College
Cameron Redsell-Montgomerie, Learning Strategist – Math Specialist, Centennial College
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all the requested skills and qualifications and should be submitted electronically by April 20, 2018. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
POSTING DATE: April 12, 2018
EXPIRY DATE: April 23, 2018