Now Hiring Peer Academic Coaches
We are currently hiring two Peer Academic Coaches at the Learning Centre. Please see the details below if you are interested in applying.
Job Title: Peer Academic Coach
Position Summary: Peer Academic Coaches (PAC) are responsible for coaching and supporting students to develop study tools to be active, independent and successful learners. PACs will be working with the Learning Strategists to help with implementing course specific study skills and learning strategies for academic success. They will report to the Learning Strategist (LS) team.
• Coaching students in one-to-one and group settings by implementing Foundational Learning Strategies (FLS) as prescribed by the LS.
• Applying FLS such as notetaking, developing study schedules, and reading strategies, as well as aspects of test preparation such as creating flashcards.
• Supporting students with using and integrating technology into learning, such as eCentennial, MS Teams, Padlet, etc.
• Facilitating virtual study halls, including supporting students with setting SMART study goals and implementing the Pomodoro technique.
• Planning, structuring, assessing and evaluating academic coaching sessions.
• Implementing and individualizing learning strategies to meet course specific needs.
• Providing feedback to students on their progress.
• Aligning different coaching approaches with diverse learning needs.
• Acting as an ambassador of Learning Centre services through the promotion of campus-wide events and various outreach activities.
• Responding promptly to student inquiries and making referrals to the appropriate College support services.
• Participating in regular monthly meetings with the LS and Academic Coaching team.
• Administrative tasks as required.
• Course-specific tutoring with students in one-to-one and/or small groups as required.
• Mandatory attendance for training and orientation.
• Schedule will be confirmed upon job offer.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Minimum GPA of B+ or higher.
• Preference will be given to students who have completed at least one semester as a Peer Tutor.
• Demonstrated understanding of learning strategies associated with college learning.
• Ability to manage conflict and strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong problem-solving, presentation and facilitation skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; an active listener.
• Strong planning and organizational skills.
• Ability to manage time effectively, and to balance school and work load.
• Proven ability to work independently and take initiative.
• A strong team player and willing to collaborate with others.
• Ability to build rapport with students.
• Proficient in MS 365, Office.
• CRLA Certified preferred.
Hours of work: Up to 8 hours per week, including evenings and Saturdays.
Location: Online supporting all programs.
Application deadline: Ongoing until filled.
How to apply: Submit your application using our Become a Peer Academic Coach form.
*NOTE: Please submit your application and resume once. Not all inquiries will receive a response, and we will delete any duplications.